Friday, January 7, 2011

Experimenting with Mont St Michel print

This is why I love printmaking: you can start with a core image, or component of an image, and experiment  in dozens of ways to find the complete look.


In November, I proofed the first plate of another two-plate linocut of Mont St. Michel. In December, I trialed a number of combinations with a second color, using a plexiglass monoprint plate to ink, etc.


Starting with a simple, solid roll-up..


Printing the ghost of the roll-up achieved a subtler color. In some ways, closer to what I envisioned...



While trying to find the right shade, I pulled out the color in the middle-ground...

Also tried printing color in only the sky...

Finally pulled out the carving tools and cut the second plate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...